Friday, November 6, 2009

Obviously I've been slacking...

So as the title of this blog post says, I've been slacking...slacking with writing in my blog, slacking with weight watchers, slacking in general! I'm even slacking right now as I post this, because I'm supposed to be writing a report for work!

Anyway, things have settled down a bit since my last post. I survived the flu and got my strength back. It took a surprisingly long time before I felt back to "normal". I have settled into my new job nicely...well as much as one can settle into a new job. I always feel that it takes almost a year to really get my groundings and learn all the ins and outs of a new organization. Luckily I'm fairly autonomous in my job, so it makes for a more pleasant work environment.

So how does this all tie into weight loss? Well, I actually made the change to my new job as a part of a plan I had to start finding a better balance in my life. I work in a field where I take care of others' needs all day long, but it had started to become apparent to me that I was not taking care of my needs...such as my health. I really was overworking myself... and without getting into too many details out here in cyberspace of what I do for a living... after many, many, MANY years of post-secondary schooling, I was so used to working at break-neck speed that I didn't really know how to slow down. Once I was finished school, I had so many different opportunities coming my way and I wanted to experience them all! Well, experience them I did, and continue to exhaust myself I also did. And let's face it...who doesn't want to make as much money as they can to pay off those horrible student loans?

In life we all have things that pull us, that call for our attention, things we want to do, things we should do...and we have to prioritize these things in order to sort through where our focus goes. Usually I'm a great multitasker, but there has always been something that has been on the back-burner in my life no matter where my focus has been, and that's my weight. It's something I know I should prioritize and in recent months has even become more pressing with the introduction of some borderline health issues, and yet I've continued to neglect it.

Finding a new job with a better balance for my life was part of my putting myself first. Done. Finding a new physical activity to try was also something I decided to do for myself. Done. I've been going to Pilates. So I know I'm making some changes, but it's happening slowly. Now going to Pilates might not sound like much to some people, but I don't mind admitting I was nervous walking into that Yoga/Pilates studio for the first time. It was intimidating. The class is all skinny women in yoga pants... and then me. To help with this visual, I would like to let you know that I have at least 100+ lbs on all these women... and my butt doesn't look as cute in the yoga pants ;P I was actually kind of surprised that there wasn't more of a variety of body shapes, but I'm there and I am truly enjoying it! Yes, I have moments of insecurity, but I'd much rather be there and deal with it than to not have tried it at all. I'm hoping to tackle the Pilates Reformer machine after I finish my introductory mat class!

So I didn't really have a plan of what I wanted to write about when I opened this blog today, but I think I've gotten somewhere. I had been feeling guilty about not writing in my blog...in the month that I wasn't active here, I WAS actively thinking about the blog and things I would like to post, but couldn't quite nail down any time. Apparently all I need to help me focus is a deadline for something else I'm supposed to be working on! HA! Speaking of which, I guess I should finish up this report soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment