Monday, January 10, 2011

Food for thought


Last night I was planning on watching a movie and I was going to make some popcorn to eat with the movie (air-popped of course). Usually once I start thinking about a food, I am compelled to follow through and eat it, even if I'm not hungry. Well an interesting thing happened. I listened to my body and I realized I wasn't really hungry. I wanted the popcorn because I like snacking, but if I really thought about it, I didn't need to eat it. So I decided to wait for a bit and about halfway through the movie I was thinking I could eat something. But by this point it was pretty late, so I opted for an apple with peanut butter instead! This is a surprising turn of events. A good choice that I hope to make again sometime, but I know it won't always be this easy. I guess that's why I should take it and run with it whenever I'm able to make these easier choices.

I was just watching some tivo'ed Dr. Oz and he was talking about BMI. He outlined what the different numbers mean:

>40 = Morbidly Obese
30-40 = Obese
25-30 = Overweight
<25>
(the underweight categories don't really apply here!)

My BMI is 42.5 Ouch. I'm officially "morbidly obese"...I can't really feign any surprise here, but it still makes me wince to see that label. I will have to hit 262.5 in order to drop out of the morbidly obese category and into the "obese" category. What a weird milestone to look forward to. "Gee I can't wait to be obese!" LOL

The significance of these numbers was addressed by Dr. Oz and he went on to say that if you are in the "obese" category you have a 40% higher than normal risk of dying. Now for the shocking information...if you are in the "morbidly obese" category, your chances of dying are 250% more than normal!! I swear...that percentage took my breath away. I knew it would be higher, but I can honestly say I did not expect a number that high.

Well, I'm 17 lbs away from improving my chance of dying significantly! Here I come!

1 comment:

  1. I have to have popcorn when I watch a movie at home....sometime I decide to watch a movie just to have an excuse to make popcorn...sigh! I myself and looking very forward to being over weight! :)

    ReplyDelete