I did manage to do a little baking over the weekend. I made banana muffins, but instead of butter, I used coconut oil. My brother is allergic to dairy products, so I used the coconut oil so he could eat some of the treats when he came over. I'm not one to mess around with my recipes by using substitutions, but they turned out pretty much exactly the same! I used 3/4 coconut oil to what I would use for butter. I was impressed! I think I'll likely use this substitution as al alternative to butter more in the future.
I also made some frozen chocolate covered bananas on a stick and they were AMAZING! I love how frozen bananas taste like ice cream. I melted dark chocolate to coat them, so they were a pretty healthy, but sweet and yummy treat. A whole banana is quite a bit though, so next time I'll half them.
And finally I made a treat that I call "freezer fudge". It's made from almond butter, cocoa, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and some honey. I found this recipe online on some doctor's website. It's kind of in between fudge and brownies, but you need to keep them in the freezer, otherwise they get soft and gooey. They're actually quite chewy when they're frozen. My husband loves them and my brother is always excited to see them, because he can actually eat them (he has so many food allergies it's not even funny!), and it's great because they are a healthy treat. If anyone wants the recipe I don't mind sharing it. I'm thinking about trying the recipe with peanut butter next time, because I think peanut buttery fudge would be delish. I'm a peanut butter addict!
After writing about all this food I made, I think I must have been looking to make some comfort food for myself because of my injury. At least I made some healthy options. I am definitely going to make those chocolate covered frozen bananas again!
I'm actually going to experiment in the kitchen tomorrow and create a dish using eggplant. I have NEVER cooked or eaten eggplant in my 30 years of life. I picked a couple up at the farmer's market on Saturday and I am determined to cook something. I'm leaning towards eggplant parmigiana. I'll have to remember to let you all know how this food experiment works out for me.
Your food sounds yummy!
ReplyDeleteI like eggplant! Hope it works out for you. I gave you an award on my blog.
ReplyDeleteThere is an award for you on my blog :)
ReplyDelete