Friday, October 22, 2010

Booked appointment with personal trainer

So I finally made the decision to try out a personal trainer. I booked the first appointment for Monday morning. This is going to be an adjustment for me, as I've booked the sessions for early in the morning before work. I really prefer working out first thing in the morning, but tend to be lazy and opt for sleep when push comes to shove. I'm hoping that having a commitment with another person to work out in the morning will get me to work out more consistently. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to book the sessions after work instead, but I'm looking forward to having the workouts done and out of the way before the day starts. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period as my body gets used to the new sleeping cycle. I used to always work out first thing in the morning, but sometime over the years that has slipped and I now opt for sleep. Have I mentioned that I'm not a morning person? I absolutely love lying in bed in the morning, cozy under my blankets, dozing between hitting the snooze button. I sleep in way too late on the weekends for someone 30 years old! Of course I don't have kids to wake me and my pup will sleep in his bed for as long as I'm in my bed. I'm so thankful that my dog is as lazy as me in the morning, so I don't get rudely awakened for a morning pee outing...but I digress...

Back to the personal trainer. I'm pretty excited about starting with a new trainer, but I'm also fairly nervous. I'm feeling nervous about how the 1st session will go and I'm worried about being pushed out of my comfort zone (I agree that this is a positive thing, but I'm still nervous about it). I've been thinking about goals for myself. I like working towards goals. Obviously I have weight goals, but I think I should have additional health goals that are above and beyond the focus on the scale. Here's what I have so far:
- To run a 5K.
- To improve my roller skating so that I can tryout for roller derby.
- To be able to do 500 steps in under 20 minutes (I thought of this while watching The Biggest Loser this week. This was what the contestants had to do to compete for a spot on the show. The one contestant who initially did not make it on the show, made this her goal while working out at home. I saw that and wondered...can I do that? I'm guessing probably not, so why not make that a goal? They used a step aerobics stepper with two risers and I have that equipment in my basement.)
- To be able to do 20 "real" push-ups.

That's all I have for now, but it's definitely a fluid list that will grow in time.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great health goals! I hope things go well with your personal trainer. I would love to have one, but just can't handle the expense right now. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a large expense, so I'm trying to budget really carefully for it. I debated back and forth in my head for a while because of the monetary cost, but decided to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete